Immigration Law Matters

Immigration Law Matters

With countless forms to fill out and documents to provide, the Canadian immigration process may appear long and complicated. Whether you are applying for Permanent Residency or Citizenship, seeking study visas or searching other lawful residence in Canada, Adept Family Lawyers are your team of professionals that will provide you with individualized attention your case requires.

We place a premium on compassionate and careful case management. We are here to answer your questions and guide you through the process of immigration benefits and law.

We will evaluate your personal circumstances. If we think you have a good chance at success, we will take you as a client and work with you from start to end.

There are several categories of Canadian Immigration under which you can apply to immigrate to Canada. Many different programs exist for admission to Canada. Each program has specific requirements and each offers residency under specific rights and privileges.

Express Entry / Permanent Residence
This is a new system to manage how people with skilled work experience apply to immigrate to Canada. It is based on a point system with points awarded for education, occupation, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French language and other criteria that have been shown to help become economically established in Canada. We will advise you as to the most appropriate program to which you should apply, co-ordinate the submission of the completed application(s) and supporting documentation, receive communications and documentation from the government processing office on your behalf and faithfully advise you of the ongoing requirements with respect to your application; monitor and track your submitted application throughout the process so as to ensure the processing of the application in a timely fashion within applicable processing standards and among other things, assist you in establishing pre-landing and/or post landing facilities in Canada.

Provincial Nominee Programs
Most provinces and territories in Canada (except Quebec) can nominate immigrants through the Provincial Nominee Program. These immigrants must have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of that province or territory, and must want to live that Province. Each province and territory’s streams, eligibility requirements and nomination guidelines for their Provincial Nominee Program can change without notice. We keep careful track of the regular changes in the Provincial Nominee Programs so that we can maximize the effective representation of our clients and ensure that they receive updated, accurate, and comprehensive advice.

Canadian Experience Class
To be considered for the Canadian Experience Class, you must have at least 12 months of full-time skilled work experience with the proper authorization in Canada and in the three years before you apply. You must also meet the language level requirement and plan to live outside Quebec.

Work Permit
Our firm represents Canadian and foreign employers to prepare the paperwork to obtain Work Permit for their prospective employees. We also assist with the preparation and submission of Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications.

Study Visa and Admissions
Thousands of students, whether undergraduates or postgraduates come to Canada every year to study. We assist with gathering, preparing and submitting of their applications to obtain admissions at any of the Designated Learning Institutions. We continue with processing the study visas.

Visitor Visa
You will need to meet certain entry requirement to come to Canada as a visitor. We can help you to determine what you need to visit Canada as a tourist or business person, how to extend your stay in Canada and what documents you need to carry with you to transit through Canada. We help the visitors and the invitees to prepare the entire application package, up until submission.

Temporary Residence
You may want to extend or change the conditions of your stay in Canada. This application for a change or extension must be done, prior to the expiry of your current permit. Adept Family lawyers can assist you with an application to extend or change the conditions of your stay.

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa
The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The Super Visa allows parent and grandparent to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada without the need to renew their status, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of 6 months only.

There are also specific requirements that you must meet to be able to get a super visa.

If you’re a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you could sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, dependent child or other eligible relative to become a permanent resident in Canada.

To be eligible to sponsor, the sponsor in Canada may have to meet certain income criteria. Keep in mind too that there are some bars to sponsorship.

Live-in Caregiver Program
As an employer, you are responsible for finding a foreign live-in caregiver through advertisements, personal contacts or hiring agencies. You then must go through the application process to hire them. There have been some recent changes to Canada’s Caregiver Program: You now require an LMIA before you apply to hire these caregivers and they are no longer required to live in the home of their employer. If the caregiver you are hiring agrees, a live-in arrangement may still be possible. We can help you with the paperwork from obtaining LMIA to ensuring the caregiver arrives Canada, all in good time.

Citizenship Applications
We can assist permanent residents, anyone born in Canada or anyone with Canadian parents to apply for citizenship. We will assess their eligibility and assist in preparing their paper work.

Humanitarian & Compassionate
Humanitarian and compassionate consideration, provides the flexibility to grant permanent residence status or a permanent resident visa to certain foreign nationals who would otherwise not qualify in any class, in cases in which there are compelling grounds. Applicants may make submissions on any facts affecting their personal circumstances that they believe are relevant to their request for consideration. We can help to prepare your submissions which accurately sets out your situation and demonstrates any hardship you may face when returned to your home country or if your application is denied.